Great Control

Apr 3, 2009 at 4:36 PM
I just wanted to say, great job on this nifty little control.  I grabbed this control while giving a designer a demo on ASP.NET development and things turned out great.

Here is a list of a few issues that I had along the way that might help others...

1. I was teaching a designer with VWD 2008.  I wanted to grab a compiled DLL and followed a link from CodePlex to your Steve's site for demo where I found a complied version.  The complied version had weird issues, kept crashing when marking fields required.  I went back to my machine and downloaded the latest CodePlex source and complied, everything worked perfect with the latest build.

2. I wanted to use the properties of the control in the code behind similar to the demo that has hiding panels.  I started off by dropping the code into the Page Load event, which of course did not work.  Once I traced the code, I realized what it was doing and I needed to put things in the PreRender event.

3. There was no documentation on the question types, so I just browsed the code and wrote them down with a quick explanation to how I understood them to work for the designer.  Everything worked perfect, until they wanted to use hidden fields.  This field was not able to be set inside the XML, so I had to set the value inside the PreRender event.

Over all it's was very easy to use, but for future VWD users it might be nice to have a compiled version of the DLL since it does not allow them to open class projects.  The only other thing that would probably increase usage of this control is documentation, something showing what each question type will generate and how you can theme the the layout using CSS.

Again, this is a great control and can do way more than basic multiple choice questions!!!  I did some quick tweaking to support a few additional elements and it was very easy to modify.  Thanks again for this wonderful "free" code!

Zach
Jan 20, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Zach,

We you able to create a MCSS (Multiple Choice Single Selection) with one of the choices as Other?  The reason I ask is because I want to have a MCSS with the option to select Other, but have an accompanying textbox to fill in if other is selected (and hopefully make the textbox required).  Any ideas?  Sorry to bother you, but I saw that you made more complex multiple choice questions.

Thanks,

Bill

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Bill,

It's been a long time since I looked at the code, but I quickly opened the "McssWebQuestion.cs" and I don't see any code that will render an Other textbox for a "MCSS" question type.  This looks like it'll take quite a bit to change, since you'll need to modify the question/survey and possibly the XML schema.  A quick fix would be to put a MCSS followed by a textbox control on the page and use JavaScript to show/hide the textbox if the value "Other" is selected in the MCSS field.

Regards,

Zach

Jan 20, 2010 at 8:18 PM
The problem that I may encounter is that I wish to automate the process and generate the XML from a DB. Then bulk_insert the XML data back when a survey is completed.

Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 2:17 PM
To: [email removed]
Subject: Re: Great Control [WebSurvey:52197]

Bill,

It's been a long time since I looked at the code, but I quickly opened the "McssWebQuestion.cs" and I don't see any code that will render an Other textbox for a "MCSS" question type. This looks like it'll take quite a bit to change, since you'll need to modify the question/survey and possibly the XML schema. A quick fix would be to put a MCSS followed by a textbox control on the page and use JavaScript to show/hide the textbox if the value "Other" is selected in the MCSS field.

Regards,

Zach